View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
I hate to ask, but why do you care about the people who are going to argue about cold hard facts? They will always exist, and they will always be vocal, but why let them have that warm feeling inside that they can keep you under their boot?
I have hadc to fight opposition with the sharing of knowledge in the aircooled world for years and don't want to make the same mistakes with the M96 that I have with the other engines I have manipulated.

Fact is there is nothing worse than working for days gathering dat and setting up test gear only to post it and have someone who reads tech articles with no practical application experience at all challenge it... That happens and I really don't have the tolerance for it, especially when giving the information away for free.

I already receive more crap through email than you can imagine from people that are still in denial that their engine can break... Some are down right nasty!

Quote:
I personally don't care much about sound changes nor do I care about installing expensive exhaust systems, but I do care about knowledge. I enjoy the sound of my stock '98 Boxster, and don't have any plans on installing a different muffler for a different sound, but I wouldn't mind knowing if there is a better set of headers that I can install that might increase the low to medium range torque on my car.
I understand and appreciate your view point. It is much like mine. The answer is you can get 1-3Hp from the headers more than likely, buit it won't be astounding.. And you might shear off 2-3 exhaust flange bolts during the install and that can cost you days or hundreds of dollars to repair.

Quote:
I had a wonderful experience a couple Fridays ago by taking my Boxster out onto HPR (http://www.highplainsraceway.com). One thing I noticed is that some of the corners I needed to be in second gear, because if I was in third gear, I would be between 3k and 4k rpms, while trying to climb uphill, and the 2.5 could definitely use a boost of torque in that rev range.
That means you need a flatter torque curve and more mid range grunt... Something I have gotten from a chamshaft change or a valve timing alteration that deviates from stock. The exhaust system might actually hurt the performance you are looking for..

Quote:
Everywhere else on the track, the car is perfect.
every car has some corner or portion of the track where the power isn't what it should be.

Quote:
I love reading about your methodology when it comes to testing a theory.
Unfortunately, you are worried about what 2% of the people are going to say about the results of your data. The other 98% of us don't care about that 2%.
Unfortunately that 2% has a voice that is much louder than the 98%... If I were going to have to listen to flack for sharing information I should at least charge for it...

It really does suck for everyone... People only think I am trying to sell them something, hell I don't even sell an exhaust system!

Their is a perfect example of this non sense over on PPBB now, where a bunch of armchair wrench turners that have never touched our billet magnetic drain plug or low temp thermostat are challenging their effectiveness.. They are basing their opinions on assumption and are seriously piossing me off. I have the data and drive and test the cars daily that are equipped with the components.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 07-28-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote