View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
mptoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose
Hello Everyone, newbie here. I bought a 97 Boxter a couple of weeks ago. I've gotten gas twice and the check engine light has gone on after both occasions. I took it back to the place I bought it after the first time and they got the light to go off and told me it may be the gas cap.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows how to cancel the check engine light. I have a 1500 Ram and it did this when I put a new gas cap on. It had something to do with disconnecting the battery and so on.

If I replace the gas cap will the light go off automatically or will I still need to take it to the shop and get it canceled. Thanks in advance for your help. [/SIZE]

Normally I would tell a car owner to unhook the battery cable for an hour, but Porsche owners don't have normal cars. You can try it but you will need to reset your radio code.

If it was my car and it is running normal then I would cautiously unhook the cable and see what happens. If you have oil leaks or its running rough then i would take it to a mechanic. It could possible be the gas cap if it isn't sealed it can throw off the computer.

Questions.
1.)did you get high octane gas? Your car could read a difference in o2 mixture if you used a lower grade gas.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-15-2009 at 05:06 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote