View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
yimmy149

Finally got the VW wires and built the OBC harness - only to find out it doesn't fit. Turns out I built the pre-2001 harness, the molex pins are different for the 2001-up gauge cluster. Unfortunately the guide I was using didn't mention that.

I went ahead and put the car back together. I'm pretty sure the reason my cancel broke was due to the depth of the control stalks being set incorrectly. I measured before removal and it was a bit over 60mm, which would have forced the tab on the contact spring up against the stationary part of the column. The most difficult part of reassembly was properly routing all the cables back into the clip/organizer. I'd recommend snapping a digital photo before removing the wires, would have made life easier.

If anyone is interested in my pre-2001 OBC harness, let me know. I'd be happy to sell it for the cost wires & plug. I don't like butt connectors, so I used solder and self sealing heat-shrink tubing instead. I used a label maker to number the wires, and a few zip ties to hold it together. I can post a picture if you'd like.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote