View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #22
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

We are learning that more should be inspected at 60K than just what Porsche recommends.. This includes a lifter inspection and an inspection of the variocam components as the tensioner pads are normally shot at 60K.

I have saved more than a few engines by pulling the sump at 60K miles and cleaning sealant from the oil pick up tube that had been partially blocking the oil inlet, thus reducing oil pressure.

By 60K most engines have a handful of lifters that have seized and at least the upper vario cam pad tensioners are heavily worn. Timing chains are also starting to wear and can have notable wear at 60K miles.

I have yet to do a single 60K service on a vehicle that didn't have at least 3 ignition coil packs that were cracked and required replacement.

Long story short, done right this inspection needs to go further than the "book" says to ensure you don't end up without an issue that can cut your engine's life short.

From what I have seen the Techs that are doing these inspections just go through the motions at the Dealerships.. They don't look at anything they don't have to per the directives and they certainly don't go any deeper than they have to looking for issues that can be noted and then solved with preventive measures before they break.

A car came to us for an IMS bearing retrofit recently and it had just had a 60K done by a Dealer in Texas..(700 miles prior) All 6 coil packs were cracked, it had a broken vario cam tensioner pad on the 4-6 bank and 6 noisy lifters. The Dealer didn't annotate any of these issues on the invoice but they did charge 1100 bucks extra to re-seal the cam covers. (and they still leaked)

Ensure who ever does these services doesn't just go through the motions and follow some generic check list. What was **believed** to be necessary at 60K miles when these cars were new isn't what reality has proven to be necessary. Having deep internal experience with these engines has taught us whats really necessary.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote