View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
CRCGuy

I currently have a MY08 S2000. The shifter is perfect, build quality is perfect, ergonomics perfect, and I have no doubt it will go a couple of hundred thousand miles without needing a single repair. But I've had it 8 months and am going to switch to a Boxster S. The first 3-4 months it was a blast to drive...but the high revving, raw nature wore on me. Driving on the interstate even for 30mins sucks. The engine note is not beautiful---one might say harsh at high RPMs. And the S2000 does have a dark side as any owner will tell you. I lost the back end suddenly once in a decreasing radius turn that blew all my confidence in the car--stability control just barely saved my butt. it was not fun. It did not break progressively---was sudden (snap oversteer). Beware of pre-stability control (VSA) models since it's up to your fantastic driving skills (or a tree) to keep you from going over a cliff. The car was made to enjoy on a track, not mountain twisties. and buy lots of ear plugs.

The Boxster S (987) I test drove was much more balanced, seems to break at the limit progressively and predictably, has a heavenly exhaust/engine note and is 100x more fun to drive in my opinion. I agree with comments to go for 987 vs 986. Go for the S. Life is short. At the end of the day, what is a few thousand bucks for the difference? So what if it needs some repairs? One day you will be 6ft underground or in a vase on someone's mantle. That's it--game over. As my grandfather said before he died--buy the best, because you'll always be happy with it. it's true. Money is no object. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to pay for it (maybe by foregoing something else). For me, the 987S is that thing.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by CRCGuy; 06-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote