Thread: Radar Detectors
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #31
ACD

I've got the 8500 X50 and it's alerted me extremely well to every type of signal out there. I'm often driving from Providence to NYC and the CT. cops are really sneaky. Not as bad as the NY state cops I encounter when driving on 90 to Rochester, but I've had more the enough time to slow down.

I didn't get the V1 because if the alarm goes off, I'm slowing down. Less concerned about where the signal is from, though I appreciate the arrows. I also think it's ugly and bulky and overvalued.

A note on laser. Laser devices can only be used when mounted to a stationary vehicle. The cop needs to focus the beam within a relatively small area on your car to get an accurate readout. Even then it's relatively flawed especially in bad weather. A black car with a raked front end and no license plate (like a Boxster) is pretty well cloaked. Add the headlight film and you're invinceable. Moving laser is simply to scare people. I think you could win a court fight pretty easily. That said, I've been hit with laser three times now and never pulled over. My X50 sends me out of the seat with its warning, but from what I've read it should have been all over for me at that point.

I'm interested in a laser jammer and the veil headlight technology.

Last edited by ACD; 05-06-2005 at 07:26 AM.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote