View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly
I'm new here. I just purchased an 08 Boxster (new, with 30 km on it). It's my DD for the summer months (I live in Calgary, Alberta) and then it will be stored for the winter. By the time I store it I will probably have 6 - 7k km on it. I suggested to my dealer that I should probably get an oil change prior to storage but his answer was no, maybe when it comes out of storage next spring but probably not even then. Since the car basically sat on their lot for a year, that would be 2 years (or more) before a first oil change. Thoughts? Maybe I should just ignore his advice and get one done at the end of this summer. But if it's really not necessary, I also (obviously ) don't want to spend the money.
Definitely change it just prior to storage. Always, always do this. The acids, moisture, and contaminents that build up in oil during use are not good for a stored engine. Your dealer either isn't giving you good advise or isn't taking the time to understand what you are asking.

Quote:
My next questions relate to RPM. My dealer, who is a reputable dealer, told me that I don't need to break in the engine. However, the manual states that there is a break-in period for the first 3,000 km during which the RPM shouldn't exceed 4,200 and lugging the motor is really bad. My bet is to go with what the manual is saying (although it's taking some of the fun away since I still have 1,800 km to go!).
Listen to the manual, at least moreso than your dealer. I do think the manual's break in guidance is overly conservative and once you get to 1600 km's, you will be fine enjoying the full rpm range, or at least up your limit to 5500 as you finish out the official break in period.

Quote:
And finally shifting. I watch the RPM and try to keep the car in the 2,500 - 3,000 RPM range while driving and probably in the 3,300 to 4,000 RPM to shift (up or down). Is this reasonable? What would you recommend? The last thing I want to do is lug the motor (during or after the break-in period).
Yes... never lug these engines. High load below 2500 rpm isn't good. You will be doing your engine (and your wallet) a big favor if you stay above 3000 and don't shift until you are at or above 4000 (so revs won't drop much below 3000 with the next gear).

Enjoy your car!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote