View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
a lot of us would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this.

I often wonder - if/when - I find myself looking at motors - if the unthinkable happens to me - would I decide to go this route and upgrade to a raby 2.9 or a used 3.4 - or just dump the car for parts.

gien how the used car market is so cheap - one could get a nice used 987 for not *that* much. when you assess the money you could "salvage" (pun intended) from selling your junk/parts car - and then look at what you would have spend on a 3.4L swap - and put that into the pile of money - you'd have almost enough to make a mega down payment on a CPO 987S.

i have to think a newer 987S would be a better overall car than an older 986 with a 3.4L swap. it woudl come down to what it cost to do the swap and how much the newer car would actually cost. if you crunched the true costs, and the "value" of what you woudl get for you money - one will lkely end up being the more logical route.

getting input from you on how good this 3.4L swap actually is would help a lot of us to make our own decisions on what we would do if/when we find outselves with a blown motor.

if you had the time, you ought to zip over to a Porsche dealer and look at a newer 987S. take one for a spin - and then post here with your subjective observations about what you like better.
I think the difference is that JAAY is a DIYer, and can purchase a 3.4L engine for $7-8k, for example, and drop in the motor himself. If you look at it this way, it's a much cheaper alternative to upgrading to a 2.9 Raby engine or a CPO 987. However, if you end up with a blown engine and then have to pay for the 3.4L engine AND the installation, then the cost will be more comparable to a Raby rebuild, for example.

I have driven a 986 3.4L conversion mated to a 5-speed tranny, and while it is a definite big improvement in power and torque over my 2.7L 986, it did not feel as fast and refined as the 3.4L 987 I drove. Jaay, however, gets the added pleasure of knowing that he did all the work himself, and mods the car the exact way he likes it as opposed to the stock factory car. It all depends on what is more important to you- having a car that you can mod the heck out of and make it unique and special to you, or having the newest in factory updates/design/refinement, and of course, your budget.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote