View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
PAH

Upset with my OPC

My 02 Boxster S is currently sat at Officical Porsche Centre, Liverpool (UK), having the Rear Main Seal repaired. I got a phone call yesterday telling me that the car also needed a new clutch. Cost to me normally £850.00 + VAT (17.5%). However, as they are repairing the RMS failure under warranty, they won't charge me labour. Also, as I've only had the car for 4 months or so, they will pay half the cost of the part. However, this still leaves me with a bill of nearly £200.00.

The reason I am upset is the fact that a couple of days after collecting my Porsche in late December, I booked the car in because I thought there was a problem with the clutch. The car juddered slightly every time I moved off from standstill in 1st gear. It only had 23k miles on though. When the car was checked, the OPC came back to me saying there was 'no fault found', and the juddering I was experiencing must be a charateristic of my car. I thought this was a bit odd, but, being new to Porsche, I took their word for it. I've put up with the juddering since then, and it's not got any worse, or better.

Now the car has gone in again, they just told me that the clutch needs replacing, and they know this because the car is juddering when moving away from a standstill - basically exactly what I told them within days of collecting the car. I have the warranty, but apparently, seeing as I have done 5000 miles since I bought the car, they are treating this as "wear and tear". When I reminded them that I reported this problem practically as soon as I collected the car, explaining the symptoms exactly as they are now, they just told me that as far as they were concerned, there was not a problem back them.

Now, is there anything I can do here? I know they have the records that I reported this problem back then, as they have admitted that much. However, just because they said there was no fault found back then, they are refusing to cover this under the warranty.

I know it's not a huge amount of money, but there are other things I'd like to spend this sort of money on (like my wife's birthday in 2 weeks!!). I could only just afford to buy a Boxster really, and I can do without this sort of expense if possible. However, more than anything, I'm annoyed in principle. I reported this problem straight away, and they did nothing, probably because the cost would have to be covered by them under the warranty. Now they are asking me to pay, because the problem is still there, but now they think they can use the "wear and tear" excuse. I'm really angry about this - it's not on at all.

Any advice?

Cheers guys!!
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote