View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks all, for the nice comments. It was really a fun project, and I can't believe it was just a plug and play bolt in. I'm sure once the word gets out, it'll start getting tough to find these tops.....but it is totally worth the effort in looking for one as you can see. I can't tell you how nice it is to finally not have to do the chop, polish the plastic window with Plexus every other week, or worry if the top will crack if it's too cold out.

As for making the 03/04 tops work with the pre-2000 model years, I think my friend Maurice will be the first one who will complete the job. Others have tried the conversion to a pre-2000, but I don't think anyone has successfully done it yet. The top does bolt in fine, but the problem is that the top relay and top transmissions/microswitches are different in the earlier models, and that makes it difficult for the top to know how to cycle correctly.

My pal is waiting for all his parts to come in to do the conversion, as his is a pre-2000 model year Boxster. I am confident he will be able to do it, and will ask him to post his results here when he's finished. He tells me it definitely is possible though, but I'm not sure what exactly is involved, so I'll let him post his results when he's figured it out.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-29-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote