View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
yellowboxster01

The paint chipping issues on those wheels have nothing to do with the quality of the actual wheels. The wheel just simply wasn't prepped properly. My dad has $5K Champion wheels on his 996 Turbo and after about 6 months they started chipping. Wheel Experts took them back and had them repainted flat black instead of gloss black this time, my suggestion. 6 months later, they're chipping in the exact same spots, poor prep. Champion has since discontinued painting the center of their wheels.

On the other hand, I bought some BSA wheels off ebay and painted the centers semi flat black myself with a $40 harbor freight paint gun. I don't have any chipping issues in the 6 months I've had them on.

I was going to have them powder coated but, after talking to my local shop, you can't tape off anything. Therefore, the lip would be powder coated also and you'd have to take them to a machinist to have them remachine the lip and polish it out. Thus, removing a bit of the material off the rim. Painting was a much cheaper procedure.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote