View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
RandallNeighbour

I will be replacing my top in the next year. The elastic bands on the sides don't pull the top in place when it's going up and down and it's a pain in the arse to drop AND raise... but it's in fairly good condition otherwise.

I will pay whatever the GAHH installer requires for one reason:

When (probably not if, but when) my new GAHH glass window top requires adjustment or the seam for the glass window separates or if any other factory or installation defect should arise, I will be able to drive it straight over to the installer and have it done for free. He will be reimbursed by GAHH directly.

Buy any other brand and have an indy shop install it for you and you may be paying them to swap out a bad top for a new one on your dime. The other top manufacturers, such as Robbins, make good tops and warrant materials for five years... but not the labor to yank off the old top and put the new one on for you in case of a warranty claim.

GAHH was the first to offer a glass window replacement top for older Boxsters. It took them about a year and a half to get the window seam design right and they should not have released the product without long-term use on test cars. But that was four years ago. A lifetime warranty on a convertible top is simply unheard of due to the use and abuse a top takes day in and day out.

I'm with Peter on this issue. I'll go with a double priced GAHH top the first time than pay it out later, and possibly more than once. I just wish Peter lived close by so I could get him to do my installation for me.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 04-06-2009 at 01:36 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote