View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
Does anyone have any wisdom to share about letting their teenager drive their Boxster?

My initial thinking on it is "no way" - the insurance rates would probably be astronomical. Also, I looked forward to buying my first Porsche since I was a teenager and the reward was that much sweeter for all the years of waiting.

After some reflection, I can see some arguments in favor of a teen driver. (1) For a relatively small car, the Boxster seems extremely safe from both design and handling/braking perspectives. (2) It would be less expensive - on a replacement cost basis - than buying a new economy car. (3) Why not let them have fun while they are young?

Still, it does seem kind of insane to let a teenager drive a car that can reach over 140 mph.
Yeah, it's not a great idea. They are great handling cars, but they do bite. Much harder than a Tercel or Corolla. Kids are kids, a kid with a Porsche is going to test it's and his limits, no matter how responsible.

I grew up with sports cars, my first car was a Mazda Rx-7 at 16 1/2 and my dad let me drive his MR2 Turbo every once in a while at the same time. I was a good student and a responsible kid, but looking back, I'm pretty lucky I didn't kill myself or someone else.

That's not to say the kid should never drive the car. If you're shotgun, it will be a good learning experience for him/her. Some DE time would also be a really good idea. But if you're talking about handing the keys over, I'd be wary as a parent and upset as a driver sharing the road with that kid.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote