View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
jjanari

question regarding cv boot change

I'm currently trying to change out my cv boots. I've gotten to the point where I need to remove the 6 hex head bolts holding the inner cv joint flange to the trans. However, when I started to remove the first hex bolt, it started to strip. (it seems that every fastener on my boxster was torqued to 1000 ft lbs by Hans and Franz before it left the factory, which coupled with 90k worth of road build up isn't helping matters). my questions:

1) do these hex bolts have loctite on them from the factory? I hit them with some PB blaster and will let them soak, but not sure if that will make much difference.

2) should i try taking the bolts off w/an impact wrench? I'm thinking w/all the stuff I removed, skid plate, diagonal braces, etc., I have room. I definitely need to get the long hex sockets because I'm having clearance issues with the boot (i.e. my standard hex socket doesn't seat nicely in the bolt's head because the socket portion is hitting the adjacent boot, which is why I started stripping the first hex bolt).

3) the inner boot doesn't look split, but I noticed some cv grease oozing out. once I get the boot off, is there a way to tell that the cv joint is compromised (besides the obvious, i.e., little to no grease left?). I was getting some noise before from the passenger rear, but I believe it was the wheel bearing (which I just replaced as part of this project). now I'm wondering if the noise I heard was from the inner cv joint drying out.)

thanks, guys!

-jimmy
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote