View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
mikefocke

Balance

My wife said "quit looking, go buy one"...and she didn't care which one it was. So off I go. I drove about 20 samples of other cars. Wasn't looking at Porsche except maybe the 928 at first. Had had a bad reliability/repairability experience with a 914 in 1970-71. Tested ine and it drove like a truck and felt like it was designed in the early 70s (which it was). BMW...took one out and after a block and a half was turning around ..felt like a Mustang from the 60s. Vette just rattled. Jaguar too many stories about engine failures. Honda felt like a shoehorn to get in and I'm not huge. Plus no trunk space. So one day I see an ad for a Boxster across town. Test drive took 30 minutes but in 5 I knew the answer. Negotiated hard from comparative figures, drove it home the same day. Lady replaced it in her 5 car garage with a Hummer H1!!! Lasted 5 months until I totaled it (looking at a Boxster parked in a used car lot, wasn't paying attention to the F150 stopped in my lane). Insurance settlement was more than I had paid for the car so went with a S for the replacement.

Both cars have been good, better than other cars from other makes I have owned at the same time and used in the same way. But I don't gaze fondly at any of them as I pass them like I do with the "toy" car. And they don't average a complement a day like the now old '01 does.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote