View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
23109VC

i have OEM rotors on the back - the hats are matte black. NO RUST.

I recently redid my front rotors and used zimmerman rotors. didn't paint the hats - as the m echanic did the install for me - and they rusted quickly.

I am going to be painting my calipers this weekend - and when the wheels are off, I am going to paint the hats. I want to do it with the rotors ON the car - I am too lazy to pull it all off.

any suggestions on masking to make sure I do this right? I am also going to probably toss on some spacers too.... H&R which are silver in color.

i had thought about just painting the fronts - but odds are it will look weird if the front / rear hats are different in color.... i'll notice it and will buck the heck out of m e... so i will likely repaint all four hats.

not sure if I should do them in black - or go with a silver to try and match the spacers. or should I spray the spacers too so they exactly match the hats??

also - should I brush the hats or should I mask and spray?

any suggestiosn on what kind of paint to use? i ordered the G2 kit for the calipers - in red - but I figure for my hats I can just hit the local pep boys and get inexpensive high temp paint - and either brush the hats or spray.

i don't think it will be a big deal to paint the main front surface, but the part that is immediatley next to the braking surface - any suggestions on how to get a nice clean line there and not have it all messy loooking.

if I mask it with blue painters tape - how do I nicely mask it so that it is perfectly"round" like hte shape of the rotor? i havne't pulled the wheel off to try it but it just seems like when I go to do it the painters tape will not easily conform to a nice shape... or will it?

i'm open to suggestions. this is gonna be an all day deal, and at least a 6 pack.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote