View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Bobiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
For future reference by those who have similar "trunk lockout" situations...

I have great luck taking a cigarette lighter plug, dissecting it to ensure which wire is positive, then jumping the hot and ground from a battery charger, or other 12 volt source to it..

This gives power back through the system, into the fusebox and voila, the trunk can then be popped.. You won't read this in a workshop manual, but it works better than anything else I have tried.
This gives instant results, no waiting and no BS.

If you want to further protect other systems in the car (I have never had issues, but...) you can pop out all the other fuses except the cigarette lighter fuse and the fuse that powers the trunk release circuit during the power up process.
That's a good idea.

Also, if ever you have the front bumper skin off, there is a emergency release cable for the front trunk release that is normally out of reach. You can reposition it behind the cap in the bumper for the tow hook. This method will assure that you can get to the battery if you are in East Snowshoe somewhere, and have no electricity or helper car available.