View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Lil bastard

If you have a week off, why not remove them to paint them? When was the last time you changed the brake fluid? If it's time, you kill 2 birds as it were.

The G2 kit is pretty good, I went with red. It is an epoxy paint so you have a limited window once you add the catalyst (4 Hrs.) which is why removing the calipers maybe makes it a little easier. I was able to do 3 coats before the paint become too difficult to work with.

I got some bolts from Loews which matched the thread/pitch of the brake line taps on the calipers and mounted them on a 1X4. This way, I didn't have to handle them and could turn them over and such giving a really smooth finish.

But prep is the key to a good job. A wire brush and plenty of brake cleaner and rags. Plan on spending more time on prep (probably twice to three times as much) than actual painting if you want a good looking, lasting, finish.

IIRC, I went with the 6mm decals. 3 yrs. later, the calipers are still shiny and colorfast and the decals show nosign of degrading.

The only thing I wish I'd done was to paint the hats at the same time, consider this too.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote