View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
23109VC

Painting Calipers Question

I am intereted in painting my calipers. I have a 2000 base, ocean bluemetallic. black top, black interior.

I have next week off of work - and would have the time to do this myself. I don't want it to look crappy.

I had a few questions. I have rec'd some individual points from a few members on this forum, but wanted to toss out these questions to the members in geneal to see what the consensus is.

1) would you paint them RED or YELLOW? I've seen both. they both look good. Yellow stands out more and is more original. Red is more the "normal" color I tend to see. just lke the S models.

2) brush on vs. spray on. I have seen some kits online that you brush on. the couple of people who I have talked to here on this site BRUSHED the paint on and say it looks good. I haven't seen "up close" photos - but I get the idea that with the paint no kits, the paint will look glossy, even, and won't have a "brushed" on look with streaks etc in it. I have always thought that spray on applications would look better though....

it would be FAR easier to paint on as I could do it with the calipers still on the car instead of having to totally remove them and take them apart to spray. I'd rather brush it on, unless the results would be 100X better by spraying.

3) does anyone have a nice close up pic of a painted boxster caliper. I'd like to get an idea of exactly what parts TO paint and what parts NOT to paint.

4) any suggestions on what to use to mask off all those little "parts" that I should not paint? just use little pieces of painters tape and cover it up? i havea bunch and can tear i tup int o little pieces to cover up all the things I don't want to paint.

5) what exact size PORSCHE sticker should I use to put on the caliper? I see a lot of the parts stores have the caliper sticker but they have two sizes. do they both fit and would one look "right" and one look iether too big or too small / "wrong"?

6) any other suggestions?

feel free to post pics of your painted brake calipers. I'm open to ALL suggestions on how to do it or not do it.

thanks!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote