View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
lapis986

PS2's to HTRZ III's

like others have said the ps2's are hard to beat for traction. I had them and went through exactly 2 sets of rears for one set of fronts at 40K intervals and drive pretty conservatively most of the time. They got a bit squirrely in wet weather like we have here in sunny Florida
I bought the HTRZ III's about 8K miles ago and also had some break in jitters, but they are gone. I check air pressure every week.
I was in a big hurry today and on a very long sweeping on ramp with nice warm tires I held the corner at +/-85-90 (i was watching the road) and had a little drift but no squeal and it was the first time I actually felt them drift(soft sidewalls do drift much more than PS2's no question). I paid 555 for a set of 4 sumis and spent the extra money on a proper alignment.
I actually like the sumitomos for daily driving due to acceptable grip and great wear for the money. seriously i would never drive that fast day to day and never with other cars around but on the rare occasion that you'd like to go fast and turn you can still feel confident even with a "cheaper" tire.
the one complaint i have seen is that when the sumis get low on tread they tend to get loud. Lots of good info on tires here but it really comes down to what you want- stickyness or wear. for me, longer wear, less grip is okay and i still feel safe pushing them. good luck
Daily Driver, 76K miles and counting...
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote