View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
jwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
how do you guys with the red colored cars keep you paint looking nice and shinny? do your cars show a lot of the swirl marks the blacks and dark blues do? any way to get em out? thanks.
All depends on how you take care of the car. Mine is and has always been garaged, so when I bought it a year ago, I did go through an extensive orbital buff job using Meguiar’s products. It did have some minimal scratches on it, but I think this was due to the former owner just covering it all the time, dirty or not. You really need to clean a car and also make sure the cover is clean prior to installing it.

As far as wash type formula, I use the Deep Crystal wash with a microfine wash mit. This wash works on the entire car and I even clean the wheels with it all by hand. Crazy as it sounds, for such a little car, I still spend a while just washing it.

I use the Meguiar’s NXT wax and it really works well for small surface scratches. They will disappear when you use a buffer.

If you have a car that has been outside for a while, your going to need to do more work to the paint to get it back. Might need to look at taking it to a pro detailer shop if you are not comfortable using a high speed buffer w/ compunds to cut the paint down and polish.

I used to detail cars a long time ago, so I am pretty comfortable in this area. You CAN make jet black look absolutely stunning if you use the right buffer / polish / wax. Been looking at switching out my 20 year old ACME cast iron orbital buffer with one of the Porter Cable 7424 variable speed ones.

There are youtube videos on how do use them and they explain proper procedure for striping, polishing, waxing, etc... it's worth taking a look. even shows how to deal with the plastic headlights and bringing them back to life.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote