View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
clubhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Morelli, on other threads you'll see that lowering the boxster is hell on your tires. It wears them out quickly. ...
When you lower the car without touching the toe/camber settings, you will be running more negative camber. Hence, the insides of the tires will wear faster than the outside. I experienced this with my M Coupe which did not have camber adjustments in the rear. I had to install (ie. weld on) camber and toe kits (toe vary with camber changes) to compensate for this.

For the Boxster, I'm sure the rear camber can be adjusted to suit the lowered ride. The concern is how much can it be adjusted. Same goes for the toe.

My personal opinion is if you're not going to track the car often, a set of aftermarket shocks and springs would suffice. I will only go for coilovers like PSS9 if I frequent the track every month. For my M Coupe, I made do with a set of Koni shocks and H&R springs since I track about twice a year only.

Having said that, I would not recommend just changing the springs alone and using it with the stock shocks. Read somewhere that aftermarket springs are best matched with similar shocks because of the need for increased damping effect.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote