View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #38
Fred Demara

1) GM makes money outside the US? Wonderful - when they file for chapter 11 and reorganize, maybe they'll be smart enough to focus on those markets.

2) Morally, I agree. It's sad, it's tragic, it's not fair - and sadly, in my experience - life isn't fair. It's morally wrong that a black child can't get into college because the inner city school he went to never taught him to read, because it was underfunded. It's morally wrong that firestation#26 in atlanta's staff has been cut 1/2 - and people are watching their homes burn to the ground due to short staffs...terrible, tragic...not fair. It's morally wrong that a vet can come home from Iraq after loosing both of his legs, and he can't get the proper VA benefits to treat him, or get him a decent pair of prosthetics. Tragic, sad, unfair, morally wrong.

My dad worked for Polaroid for 38 years. The government made a deal that paid him 6cents on the dollars for his retirement fund. It wasn't fair...but that's life, that's capitalism.

And I agree - the Madoff's of the world should be sent to prison for life. What happened to those who invested with him just wasn't morally fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
As I understand it, GM is profitable outside the US. Also, I see lots of GM cars and suv's around. Their bread and butter stuff may be bland, but most people aren't enthusiasts.

If someone invests their career with the assumption of a pension and that pension is taken away too late for them react, I wouldn't consider that right morally. .