View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #35
brp987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Demara
that's the point...the reason GM needs a bailout is because no one was purchasing the "widget". In capitalism, we vote on a companies success with our dollars. Overwhelmingly, Americans, and the world have voted GM out of the car making business.
As I understand it, GM is profitable outside the US. Also, I see lots of GM cars and suv's around. Their bread and butter stuff may be bland, but most people aren't enthusiasts.

Quote:
And in a capitalist system, when you file chapter 11, your pension is done. No rights, no wrong, no moral judgements - it's just the set of rules that define a fair market.
If someone invests their career with the assumption of a pension and that pension is taken away too late for them react, I wouldn't consider that right morally. Practically, the gov ends up assuming the pension, although at lesser value, so you and I end up paying anyway. I'm not a lawyer, but thats my understanding.

Quote:
When the fed steps in and (against the majority of Americas wishes) MAKES us responsible for GM's success, when they have failed miserably, that is called communism.
Hey, I'm on-board with the Peter Schiff thing, but GM is small potatoes compared with the wreckless Wall Street and home=ATM crowd.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote