View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
trieullionaire

GT3 Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The 996 GT3 MK1 bumper that fits the first gen Boxster has an optional Porsche OEM lower lip spoiler. It is actually designed to be a spoiler. I put mine on in the garage but have never driven with it. I was working on the car the other night and confirmed that was a wise decision. My relatively new GT3 bumper is already scraped pretty well underneath and I am careful, taking inclines at a good angle. If I'd had the lip spoiler on, it surely would have been torn off by now. I'll save it for when I do a track event. BTW - my car is lowered on coilovers, so yes it's low.

There's another lower front lip on eBay for the 996 GT3 MK1 bumper. The OEM piece is pretty small and bolts right onto the bumper. Some of the more radical lips though that you see are not simple bolt-ons. They're fiberglass and need to be glued and molded to the bumper. I've steered clear of these for a couple of reasons:

1. One good hit and the fiberglass will crack/break.

2. The car's front will be much lower, making #1 above even more of an issue.

3. For the cost of the front lip (~$375 or so), fitting, and painting you can just about buy a complete bumper in a different design (GT2, GT3, turbo, RUF, etc.) if you really want a different look, and have it painted/fit for not much more (assuming less fitting work, the GT3 bumper is a direct bolt-on).

Attached is a photo of the eBay lip added to an OEM GT3 MK1 bumper.

Kirk
The added lower spoiler doesn't look too good with the MK1. I've seen it in person and I think it looks a bit thick & chunky, a bit bottom heavy for the over all look. Good choice Kirk on not adding it.

By the way, the Fiberwerks bumper that JMP is getting is really awesome. I saw it at Parade of Porsche at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota on a 911, pretty wicked looking in person. I had ordered one myself, along with their GT3 RS side skirt. My car is going to look stunning by the time it is fitted and painted with these new components.

As for the ongoing concerns a lot of folks have about fiberglass, I'm not too worried about it. I got to talk with Karl, the owner for quite a while about their process and fabrication method and I'm confident he knows how to build them right. In fact, this is actually the second time I've ordered from Fiberwerks. The first was the rear wing spoiler I ordered about a year ago. Karl has pics of my 986 tail posted on his website. Plus, I haven't lowered my car so clearance should be okay. Change my oil using a ramp so lowering is not an option at this point...will have to see how it clears with the new bumper installed. Can always take it to a shop, as oil changes aren't frequent for these vehicles anyways, so no biggie. The good news is that if it ever gets damaged, fiberglass is repairable so I'm all good...I wish I could say the same for my factory bumper. I was at a Lowe's and hooked one of those parking stall curbs and it ripped the passenger side up and cracked the paint pretty bad. Bad things sometimes happen for a reason I suppose...like a good new bumper. Cheerios.

BTW, today is Chinese New Year, so wishing everyone a prosperous year ahead and cool new mods in the months to come.

Anyhow, some pictures to come but here is a glimpse of these parts on a 996. Pretty excited.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote