View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Kirk

The 996 GT3 MK1 bumper that fits the first gen Boxster has an optional Porsche OEM lower lip spoiler. It is actually designed to be a spoiler. I put mine on in the garage but have never driven with it. I was working on the car the other night and confirmed that was a wise decision. My relatively new GT3 bumper is already scraped pretty well underneath and I am careful, taking inclines at a good angle. If I'd had the lip spoiler on, it surely would have been torn off by now. I'll save it for when I do a track event. BTW - my car is lowered on coilovers, so yes it's low.

There's another lower front lip on eBay for the 996 GT3 MK1 bumper. The OEM piece is pretty small and bolts right onto the bumper. Some of the more radical lips though that you see are not simple bolt-ons. They're fiberglass and need to be glued and molded to the bumper. I've steered clear of these for a couple of reasons:

1. One good hit and the fiberglass will crack/break.

2. The car's front will be much lower, making #1 above even more of an issue.

3. For the cost of the front lip (~$375 or so), fitting, and painting you can just about buy a complete bumper in a different design (GT2, GT3, turbo, RUF, etc.) if you really want a different look, and have it painted/fit for not much more (assuming less fitting work, the GT3 bumper is a direct bolt-on).

Attached is a photo of the eBay lip added to an OEM GT3 MK1 bumper.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914

Last edited by Kirk; 01-22-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote