View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
greesedc

Many thanks, Jaxonalden! Having recently sold both of my UPS Store after 10 years of operation, I would have loved to have had the oportunity to pack and ship a box hardtop. Good advertising is hard to come by, and not all UPS Stores would be up to this task...trust me!
KevinH1990's pictures below are one of the finest crating jobs that I have seen or even done myself. I think I would charge around $300-400 to build a crate like that one.
Of course, the shipment would have to go either common carrier (truckline) or by UPS or FEDEX freight because of the size and weight. Several hundred bucks to ship depending on destination, and don't forget the insurance.

I bought a hardtop off Ebay last year and the seller had posted a shipping rate of $100 I won the auction at $1550 + the $100 for shipping. I had visions of the top being wrapped in a blanket and shipped by some fly-by-night company. As it turned out the honest seller actually took the top to a moving company and had them package it for shipping by common carrier. The shipment arrived about a week and a half later and I was notified by the carrier that they would deliver the package the next day. Being very impatient, I went to the dock and picked up the top, since I already had something to carry it home on (My topless Boxster that I had already configured with the correct hardware was very excited to get a new hardtop).

Much to my surprise, the top came wrapped in about 6 layers of 1/2" bubble wrap, completely surrounded by tons of packaging paper...in a gigantic double-wall CARDBOARD BOX
The top somehow survived with no dents and the glass not broken, even tho the box had a few puncture wounds...WHEW! If it had been shipped by UPS I am almost positive it would never have survived in that container.

I have always wondered how much over the $100 shipping that I was charged that the poor seller had to pay...all I did was email them and let them know all arrived safely and thanks
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote