View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
xavier405

Yeah the tip has a fully automatic mode. When the shifter is on the "D" then its fully automatic. When the shifter is in "M" then it is controlled by the gear selectors on the steering wheel.

There are two cool features that I like about the tip:
1) When in manual mode, it will still upshift you out of first gear if you redline it. Then once in second you can stay there all day long until you shift it yourself.
2) When in automatic mode, of course it will downshift one gear if you press hard on the throttle. But there is a "kickdown" button on the bottom of the throttle pedal... you mash it down and then you "click" the little button with more foot pressure and the car finds the lowest gear it can for the given speed. Usually it drops two gears.

I wonder about all I've heard regarding the tip learning your driving styles... somedays I drive like a granny, and some days I drive like a maniac. I think it just adapts to the driving style currently in play.

Also it senses high lateral g's, and thinks twice about upshifting. If I use the auto to downshift and take a turn, then the auto will not upshift until a few seconds past the turn. If I force a downshift in a straight, then the auto will upshift immediately when I relieve the pedal pressure.

- X
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote