View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
Hi all! I've been a bimmer driver for 20 years and decided to cross over to the dark side this weekend. I just bought a 2000 S model w/38k from a Porsche dealership. The only reason I went with one that old was that it is in incredible condition. Full service history, sold new at this dealership etc. They did their 155 pt. inspection/replace thing and even put brand new mich. pilots all around...

My big concern is: I'm reading all over the place about catastrophic engine failures. It kind of puts a knot in my stomach having one of these cars out of wtty. I never had these kinds of problems with my bmws in the past.....

Can anyone say anything to make me feel better???

Thanks in advance!

sean
Surely it's not on the original engine with that kind of mileage? Most people see 5-10k miles before an engine/transmission full rebuild. I got almost 8,000 miles out of my first engine and that was pure luck!

But you should be fine as long as you've budgeted $12,000 every, say, 7500 miles for a new motor. They swap 'em in and out really fast at all the dealers. Most people just do that rather than an oil change, even if the motor hasn't let go yet.

Enjoy!

Matt
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote