View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #21
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
Jake, according to what I read on LN Engineering's site today, the IMS upgrade for the later model single bearing set up will be available spring '09 for $595. That is what I was referring to...didn't read like a total engine rebuild was required. As much as I would love a 3.6 upgrade, I can much more easily afford the IMS upgrade in the short term. But I'll go in for the oil filter adapter, too.
You have the IMS update and the IMS retrofit confused... The UPDATE REQUIRES engine disassembly and IMS shaft mods to employ the HD bearings. This is a fully tested and developed unit and is employed in ALL our engines as standard equipment. It is THE ULTIMATE answer to the IMS issues and is what Porsche should have done from the beginning.

The IMS RETROFIT is the only arrangement that allows the bearing to be replaced with the engine in the car and assembled. I have not complete the testing for this unit as of yet, so it is not currently available. ***This unit can only be applied to the later 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 engines that were equipped from the factory with a single row IMS that was designed to be changed with the engine in the car***

The IMS update and IMS retrofit are not the same products. They do not share the same components- to facilitate the swap-ability in the car compromises on bearing size was necessary when designing the IMS retrofit.

Its not smart to tear down an engine just to swap the IMS to the UPDATE unit as a preventive measure. When we go inside, we go 100% ALL THE WAY and apply every update we have. We can't afford to do any less.

The IMS retrofit was designed as a preventive measure that could be executed easily without full tear down necessary.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 12-31-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote