View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #16
RandallNeighbour

When did you decide you wanted one?
As a very young lad, but I was obsessed with the first whale tail turbo that came out in the 70's. I think I shall have to buy that car one day.

How long did it take to finally purchase it?
Many years. I could have owned a Pcar MUCH earlier had I stopped buying sporty Japanese cars and driven a beater until I had saved up enough to have what I wanted.

How old where you then, and now?
I was 41 when I bought my Boxster. I am 46 now. It's not a car I use as a DD and mine needed LOTS of repairs and the interior was shot.

Is there anything you would have done differently?
Oh heck yes. I would have bought a much newer S model with a 100k CPO warranty on it and I would have bought more years on the CPO to stretch out the warranty too. Our cars are so chock full of crappy plastic parts that become brittle with age and heat that I would never repeat what I did again.

Quick word of advice for a young person trying to save for one?
Everyone's given you great advice already on this, but my web site info will be helpful. Save up and pay cash for a 987 S and keep saving for repairs instead of trying to mod the car to make it faster for the first few years. Also, don't settle for a car that's not the perfect color combination and has the features you want. If you settle for less or "almost" you will always pine for what you should have held out to get. Babied Porsches are plentiful if you can find a PCA member to give you their old Panorama magazines. That's where the garage queens are listed for sale.... from Pcar owners to other Pcar owners.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote