View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Dave S.

When did you decide you wanted one?
I bought my first Triumph in 1977. It was a '67 GT6. It was a POS but I restored it and drove it until I graduated from College in the early '80s. In 1986 I bought a very nice Triumph TR8 with 18k miles on it, which I still own today. I've always loved old Triumphs, Jaguars, Austin Healys, Sunbeams, etc and have come close to buying several more classic sports cars over the years, but my TR8 was always faster and handled better than the old British classics
One of my neighbors has a 911 and one day about 2 years ago we decided to take both our cars out for a spin and test drive each other's car. We took turns driving but made the mistake of driving the Porsche first, then hopping in my TR8. Man it made my TR8 feel like a real dinosaur and I couldn't believe how well the Porsche handled - like it was on rails. I think I knew that day that I would eventually buy one. Since I like convertible sports cars and didn't want to spend a ton of money, the Boxster seemed like a reasonably good buy. A few friends that own them recommended I buy an S model.
Before I finally decided to buy one, I went to a group of car dealers located with about 2 blocks of each other. I drove a low mileage Boxster, a new Honda S2000 and a near new BMW Z4 back to back. No question for me that the Boxster was the car I would buy. The it was just a matter of finding the right one.

How long did it take to finally purchase it?
I started watching ads on Craigslist and eBay for a few months last summer, then I got serious and started to look at them in early September. I knew what options were a must have for me and what I wanted to pay. Bought a Seal Grey 2003 S with 14,400 miles on it from a private party last October.

How old where you then, and now? 48

Is there anything you would have done differently? No. Got a fair deal and great car that is as good as new. Glad I saved about 1/2 the price of a new one.

Quick word of advice for a young person trying to save for one? I like to buy slightly used low mileage cars. Boxsters come down in value very fast and why not let someone else take the big depreciation hit.