View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #19
Perfectlap

sorry I meant to say I would appreciate the 3.2 over the 2.5 in a straight line.

I mentioned autocross in reference to the statement that a slow car can never be a fast driven car when I brought up the Miata/civic in autcross conditions. There lots of different types of driving where a car can be considered fast.

Autocross is indeed not meant to be 100+mph events like on the road course or drag strips but on most cars frequently AutoX'd, 2nd gear is good for up 75mph, 3rd gear and your up to 100 mph its not really an autocross anymore. Sharp turns between 50-75mph is plenty fast enough to evaluate/improve a non-professional driver and non-dedicated racing car. I hear the tire rack who sell more tires than any retailer around run their own private autocross events to evaluate DOT approved tires.

But back to the straightline. The Boxster S had a 0-60 in the 5 second range. The 2.7 Boxster was maybe a hair over 6 seconds? A $100K 911 is in the 4 second range? Let's say you drop a huge engine in a Boxster and your into 4 seconds, you shaved less than 2 seconds. If I count out loud to the count of 2, it doesn't seem like that bid a deal to me. Certainly not a big enough deal for me to wish I had a more powerful car than my BoxsterS. I generally avoid going much over 75 on roads where these morons in their SUV's are doing 30 mph over the speed limit. At really high straightline speeds for me its too much trust in strangers in cars whose driving experience you have no knowledge of. Even on the road course track with the BoxsterS top speed, unless you can drive the car to the limit and produce a near perfect lap time I wouldn't see a use for more power. The power at hand is already more than non-professional drivers can fully exploit. And more than enough to get you in trouble.

which goes back to my belief that if you want a car to take to your local 1/4 mile track to do some racing, then the 2.7 and 3.2 Boxster wasn't designed for that purpose. Doesn't mean it won't fun if that's all you have!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-11-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote