View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #19
GoddamSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
I'll add my 2 cents.

1) I don't think that it matters whether you get a Boxster or Boxster S. Two friends have had both and say that the fun factor is the same.

2) These cars cost money to maintain. Don't buy a car that doesn't have maintenance records.

3) I would not buy a used Porsche from a non-Porsche dealership unless it was being sold by the original owner.

4) There is a sizeable difference between the 986 and the 987 (the 987 is model year 2005 and newer in the US). Some people like the 987 and some like the 986. Decide which one you like and buy that model. If you are tall, you will find the 987 has more room which may be important.

5) Is this going to be your only car? If so then I would suggest skipping the purchase. A used Boxster is not the most reliable daily driver. Judging by your emphasis on price I would guess you are on a tight budget. This means that a major repair bill may sideline your car for a while or put you in debt. You do not want to scimp on repairs and maintenance on this car.

Thank you for the info guys - lots of good things to consider. I guess coming from the miata, where most parts are under $50 dollars (you can get a full jdm engine for 1k installed) to the porsche is pretty alarming. im going to take my time with this ans as people said its a buyers market so im hoping i can get something for a good price and have some money stuffed away for maintenance and repairs.

Jeph, Congrats as you havea beautiful boxster and it looks like its in exellent shape. i have a hardtop for the miata and i know how valuable one is in the winter months here in north jersey. unfortunately im lookin for a 2003 or 2005. Thank you for the info.
GoddamSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote