View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Perfectlap

Convertible top hack (lower top while moving)

Did the 'driving while lowering the convertible top' hack this weekend. Someone else posted it here and it was indeed a five minute job. Pull out the convertible top switch next to the fuse box (the big white block) and locate the #18 pin. It says #18 Tach with all the other codes for the other numbers. I used a set of pliers to break off the pin completely. Plugged it back in and fired up the boxster.
Works fine, you just need to have the emergency break up at least one click so that the brake light comes on your dash. I was travelling about 25mph while the top was lowering. My plastic window has started to fold precisely without having to do the chop so its been a perfect hack.
BUT...
When I raise the top the windows don't automaitcally lower that little bit so that you can engage and lock the the top. I have to first lower each side window and then raise the top. I didn't notice if the windows still also lower that little bit when the doors are opened.
It seems more useful to be able to lower the top while moving than having the windows come down atomatically to close up the top. If you don't like this hack you can always get a new fuse block for $40.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote