View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Jacques79

Depends what model year you are comparing to.

I have owned a 2001 BMW M Coupe with the S54 engine and currently own a 2000 Boxster S .

I will compare the Z4M and not the Z3M because in my opinion between a Z3M and a 986 S the Porsche is clearly superior except when it comes to acceleration obviously.

Advantage of the Z4 M Roadster:

-engine, especially at lower RPMs. The Boxster S pulls quite nicely after 5000RPMs. But it feels a little gutless around 2000RPMs when you step on it.

The Z4 M will also easily pull on a 986 Boxster S like mine.

-Quicker steering response. Not to be confused with steering feel. In the Z4 M, the steering ratio is very short and the car responds to wheel inputs much more quickly than on the Boxster S.

-Limited Slip Differential

-Mure up to date interior with bluetooth, steering wheel controls, etc...

Advantage of the 986 Boxster S:

-better steering feel. Z4 M feels numb compared to the Porsche

-With the OEM short shift kit, the Boxster S has a much better shifting feel: tighter, crisper, shorter, not as ''rubbery'' as the BMW.

-Better brake pedal feel. The Z4's brakes feel overboosted, whereas in the Boxster S you can easily control the braking force with your right foot...

-Better clutch feel; but that's subjective. The Boxster S has a heavier clutch but in return you feel the friction point much more. In the BMW M it's pretty much like stepping on a spring with no resistance. Good in traffic though.

-More comfortable ride. The Boxster S doesn't have more body roll than the Z4 M and it has a stiffer chassis. At the same time the ride is quite comfy over bumpy roads. The Boxster S absorbs bumps and stuff very well. I guess this is due to the Mid Engine aspect of the Boxster S; since the car has better weight distribution and you sit in the middle of the car, it is not necessary to put ultra stiff shocks and springs.

-While the engine in the Z4M sounds exotic and very racy, the exhaust sounds coming out of the Boxster S with the OEM sports exhaust is pure heaven, especially after 5000RPMs. But I do love the rev-happy nature of the Z4M.

As far as handling goes, that's very subjective. Some people prefer a car like the Z4 M that is very tail happy and with which you can control you drift very easily for a long time. Some people prefer the more neutral-balanced feel of the Boxster S which doesn't let go as easily as the BMW.

As far as I'm concerned, if we were talking about the new 310HP Boxster S with a LSD it would be no contest.

Right now I'm not sure if I should keep my current Boxster S and wait a few years for the 310HP model to come down in price, or sell my current car and get a Z4 M...

Last edited by Jacques79; 12-09-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add stuff
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote