View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
I also thought it was a 77 but, I saw the title and it's a 78. Surely the car isn't titled wrong.

Hmmmm... don't mean to argue, but that silver 930 is surely a 76 or 77 model, at least in the U.S. As pointed out, the whaletail is the non-intercooled tail from the 3.0 liter, and also the turbocarrera badge on back was replaced with just a turbo badge in 78. If it's registered as a 78, it could be either a county govt worker's pinkie slipped when typing somewhere along the line (yeah, what chance is there of that ) or perhaps it is from some other market where the 3.0 was still used in '78. I don't know if there was such a thing, but could have come from Canada I suppose and there might have been some '78s with the 3.0.

Anyway you cut it, it's a beautiful car. Alas, it's been my experience that the intercooled 3.3 turbos (78-88, anyway) were not much fun to drive in the real world, owing to massive turbo lag, very low compression ratio to prevent knock before engine electronics could do so, and a 4-speed tranny whose ratios would take you from 0 to 180mph (the engine wouldn't push the car that fast, but it was geared for it.). I've never driven a 3.0 liter -- I imagine the lack of intercooler would make the car more responsive, while reducing power a bit.

But they are achingly beautiful cars, for sure.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote