View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Guys, you gotta realize, this kind of move is being FORCED on Porsche. Fuel economy standards are being pushed on auto manufacturers, and face it, Porsche does NOT do economy cars. It would be very hard for Porsche to comply using just their flat six engines. Sure, they have made great advances... direct injection and other schemes DO help fuel economy.

Given I can get 31mpg highway, and average about 26mpg for my commuting in my 2.7l Boxster, I'd venture with a ~2.0l turbocharged engine, that would probably be closer to 35-38mpg highway, and 30mpg average. Not too shabby. And a turbocharged 4 would leave room for tuning. Yes, I know Porsche would already have a very well tuned engine, but if economy and meeting such standards was a priority, they may have to leave the engines detuned a little to meet those standards. Then we can tune them for more, standards be damned!

I also wonder if Porsche will look at diesel engines... a diesel 4 banger making ~150 horses and 300+lb torque would be pretty interesting!
The regulations may not apply to Porsche. There is a minimum in volume sales that have to be met to fall under this law. This is how Ferrari, Lamborghini and others that get 16 on the highway can still sell cars. I'm not sure but I bet these rules also apply to subsidiaries like Jaguar and Aston Martin.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-cafe-standards-could-exempt-porsche.html

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-06-2008 at 07:55 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote