View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
9eighty6

Well, I can chime in here ... I just finished undergrad and am into masters work right now. If you pull in a decent wage you just have to be smart about where your money is going and what your goals are ...

My first car was an '85 944 and boy was it expensive to keep up despite the low purchase price. I mean, it was a solid enough example and the engine didn't blow or anything ... but man was it finnicky. My mechanic became a family friend thanks to that car (which, I guess was a benefit in the long haul). But honestly, it has no airbags and things are constantly rattling/squeaking/wearing out/breaking. Did I love it? Absolutely. It was a fun first car no doubt, but eventually it just had to go.

I picked up the box for pretty cheap during senior year and even had a CPO (certified pre-owned) warranty for one year after purchase that helped keep my mind at ease. Knowing that I have a $10k engine that can let go at any time I am currently trying to pick up another car as a backup/beater. You never know right? More money in the pocket certainly helps the service costs though.

So my advice would be to get a reliable car with 4 doors and some trunk space for now. Save the $ on gas and insurance (if you pay your own) .... Keep the backup, and save $ on the side with a "Porsche fund" that you can tap into as soon as you're ready. You will also be able to better decide if you want an "S" model, 986/987, etc. In the meantime try your best not to get into an accident and/or get a speeding ticket.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by 9eighty6; 10-23-2008 at 04:29 AM.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote