View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejolierogue
YES, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT TOO! HOW DO I REPLACE THE KEY SWITCH?
Not sure what you forgot to mention, maybe it was all the symptoms I listed

Anyhow, here's a link on how to r&r the electrical part of the ignition switch
Ignition Switch R&R

Typically, you cannot get the part at a local P-car dealer as most will try to tell [read as sell] you on replacing the entire barrel assembly along w/ the electrical switch. However, it's a common part used in Audi and VW. So you can get it from those dealers as well - probably a few $$ cheaper too

You need to make sure though you get the p/n w/ the B on the end 4A0-905-849-B

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdiesel01
I've been driving with my bad switch for a year and about 6K Miles.
Junior-
Glad your temp fix has worked for some time now. However, I wouldn't bank on it. Once the switch gives out completely, you run the risk of being stranded some place. This could be b/c your lights won't come on (at night) or you could completely drain the battery among other perils. If your battery runs down and is not brand new, you run the risk of discharging it beyond the point where it could ever hold a charge again. Replacement on a Porsche battery, even if you don't go OEM, is not cheap.

Since it seems you have time... I'd order a replacement switch from ********************************AZ to have on hand, if you haven't already. You can either wait until yours completely fails or just spend 25min some leisurely day doing the R&R as cheap insurance.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 10-15-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote