View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Burg Boxster

As you've found, there is lots of info in archives. Know that it depends on what MY you have to fix problem...

If post '00, most likely the issue is a blown fuse. In a quiet place put you finger in gas filler neck pushing metal flap out of the way. You should here a little click. If not, check fuse E6 to see if it's blown. If so, replace and check for click again. If you get the click, try filling up. If doesn't fix, then yes, you may have a problem like bad EVAP or charcoal canister (IIRC) but I suspect w/ how fast gas is bubbling back out, this should fix your problem. In the other issue (usually pre '00) the pump usually just shuts off at a rate other than trickle fill.

Pre '00 typically have an issue w/ slipped fuel sending unit tubes. They slide around blocking the filler neck flap causing the pump to shut off if you fill at a rate faster than a trickle (due to back pressure not allowing air being displaced by fuel to vent). The TSB calls for removing the fuel sending unit from the tank and securing (w/ zip ties) the 2 flexible tube to the side of the fuel sending unit opposite of the filler neck flap. If you're a contributing member on RennTech you can view the TSB by searching on Fuel Tank Hose Modification (3/99 2015).

That being said, I intermitently have this issue on my '99. I keep meaning to perform the TSB, but have been able [knock on wood] to fix the issue w/ an "Italian tune-up". Basically, w/ a 1/2 tank of gas, I go for a verrrry spirited drive - lots of twisties, and numerous hard brakings from 70 down to 25. Enough to get the gas to slosh around a lot nad hopefully loosen the tubes back away from the filler neck flap. So far, I'm 4 for 4 in my TSB fix

Hope one of the above fixes your issue. Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote