View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #39
CA_Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
I, too, am getting close to the point where I need new rubber.

A quote from Tire Rack regarding the Goodyear Eagles:
"Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
They say basically the same thing about the PS2s.

While I don't drive my Box in the snow (or even if there's visible road salt still on the road, after the snow's gone), I do still drive to some extent year-round.

What are the consequence of driving such tires when it's cold? Is it dangerous? If so, is that still true even if you're not "pushing" your car anywhere towards its limits, traction-wise? Is it detrimental to the tires? Just curious.
For the Eagles in question (I have them and I did think about that warning before I chose them) it's a combination of rubber compound as well as tread pattern. The rubber compound gets too hard to give much grip so you lose some traction. How much you lose is uncertain - my guess is they're covering asses by warning you but you'll generally be OK as with any Summer performance tire. The tread pattern is a different issue. The V-shaped pattern on the Eagles will not grab in snow or mud. It's purely meant to put down to biggest tire patch while funneling away water. The tires have great dry and wet grip but I wouldn't risk getting caught in any kind of snow with them. I've read stories of people parking in dirt lots, getting rained on and remaining stuck until the mud dried. Goodyear did recently release the all-season version with some gripping tread but I don't know much about those.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote