View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #37

Talking Tire Tales

I am running non-N rated tires on my 04 Boxster. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's. Rated as an "Extreme Performance Summer" tire. I run 265's in the rear and 225's in the front on 18 inch rims. I drive 2 old highways that are not used because of the concrete 4 lanes right next to them in some places. They are two lane blacktop that are not posted so that makes the legal top speed 55 mph. There is a reverse "S" curve posted at 15 that goes to one lane through a tunnel that is blind from both sides and several straight's where 100 is easy if you are not careful. On the rest of the road, most of the time I am in 2ed gear with the RPM's between 4K and redline. The RE-01R's perform excellent. I did put some extra air in them when I first got them and was disappointed but when run at the Porsche recommended 29/36 I was happy. I like the way I can feel the front tires bite in the apex and the rears follow right along. I do not feel the rear try to turn out but the whole car will drift. As far as life span, the tires not mine, at 4K I see no wear even though a 4 wheel alignment showed three of 4 wheels had a misalignment of some sort or other. Porsche was kind enough to enter in to my service record that I have non N spec tires on the car. I run mud and snows in the winter and run the same road with snow on it but a lot slower. Previous tires were Michelin's.
7404 is offline   Reply With Quote