View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinneworleans
..why does it require full pump replacement and not just the impellor? Not that I am that concerned as I imagine the pump bearings took a beating anyways....
The pump has essentially 6 parts - 1. the case, 2. the shaft, 3. the seal, 4. the bearing, 5. the impellor and 6. the pulley.

#'s 2 - 5 are pressed either on the shaft or which is then pressed into the case. If you could get the component parts as a 'repair kit', which are available for a number of cars, just not the Boxster, you could rebuild the pump if you had access to a hydraulic press and the appropriate sleeves and/or impact rings. But, you'd likely approach or exceed the cost a rebuilder can offer it for. The shaft/seal/bearing may have a negative fit, that is the case must be heated (usually boiled) to expand sufficiently to accept them.

If your pump worked hard enough (miles/Km) to wear out the impellor, there's little doubt the bearings and seal were near the end of their service life as well. Considering the work and expense (coolant, etc.) involved, it doesn't make sense not to rebuild or replace the entire pump assembly.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote