View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

I am the 3rd or 4th owner of the car, so I am not sure if this will be the first set of bearings the car has seen or not. However, the brake disks were factory all the way around when I swapped them out a couple of months ago, and I noticed the calipers had never been off the car. This leads me to believe the bearings had never been replaced.

I have no idea what the magic mileage is for wheel bearings. Some guys on this board have replaced them at 40k due to noise. Others swap them trying to rid themselves of steering wheel and/or body shake.

I am doing them for both of these reasons plus I'll save on labor doing it with the other work I'm having done on the car (I'm gutting and replacing the suspension on the car with adjustable toe arms, new control arms, trailing arms, and coilovers).

I would think that any boxster with 100k on it or more is ready for wheel bearing replacement as well as tracking arms, control arms, and struts. On domestic cars, these suspension parts sometimes last for 20+ years, but not on our cars.

Keeping an old Boxster in top driving condition is not cheap. :ah:

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-03-2008 at 09:26 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote