View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #51
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
With respect to the 3.2 to big bore 3.6 program, how are you tackling the top end breathing? The 3.6 heads are quite different than 3.2 heads, as is the exhaust its bolted to. I'd be very interested to see a 3.2 bored to 3.6 with Nickies, all other updates, and topped with X51 3.6 heads

I am VERY interested in what you are doing, and I think its fantastic that someone of your caliber (I am very familiar with your air cooled work) is finally going to provide a solid solution to the M96 motor issues.

Patrick
Thanks for the compliments.. We are attacking the Boxster challenges with the same level of enthusiasm that we have (and still do) with the Aircooled engines. This work is easier than the aircooled work because all we have to do is overcome the reliability issues and we have a great foundation to work from.

As for cylinder heads, thats an area that won't see as much work as one might expect. We have already determined that the stock engines generally have a lot of capability built into them and in some instances can flow more than the stock engine needs. We are working to boost torque and extend the usable RPM range, not just make HP at some really high RPM that might good on paper, but ends up driving like crap down low.

Due to that the current hypothesis is the 3.2 heads will flow enough to create a torque monster that is still able to rev to redline easily, this decreases the need to beat on the engine and abuse it to get the power you are looking for and that keeps things alive.

We are looking to source an X51 head to study and see what the logic was at the factory, not so much to replicate, but try tom improve upon.

Given the fact that a good solid valve job can add 15HP to a stock 2.5 engine we don't believe that a super huge set of ports and alves will be needed to attain the power we are looking for from the 3.2>>3.6 modification.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote