Thread: Boxster vs. RX8
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
mikefocke

There is no way to be sure

of the reliability of a used car (Mazda or Porsche). Not even with the best pre-purchase inspection on the planet. Because things can still break.

Having said that, I've owned 2 Boxsters, a '99 and an '01S, and my average non-scheduled maintenance costs have been well less than $20 a month and I've been the third owner of each (25k and 55k miles). I've averaged less than one fix-it trip per year, more like one every 2 years. And the car could blow an engine next time I drive it. OTOH, I know of many with 150K miles on the original engine.

I get 25MPG on premium in mixed driving. I neither baby it nor hot rod it, especially until it is entirely warmed up.

I've owned 2 626s, bought Toyo-Kogo stock just before the gas crisis of the 70s. The 626s were great cars, each of my sons ended up with them. The '94 just got back from a Wal-Mart run.

Even with a warranty on the engine, you could have lots of problems and inconvenience. With either car. Or they could be near perfect.

I think you have the pluses for each car pretty well described in the above postings.

Porsche plus
drop top fun
mileage

Mazda plus
room for 4
warranty built into the cost

Your preference, your roll of the dice.

(You won't volunteer to take the Mazda to the store just because it is top down weather and always drive to the farthest away store by the most circuitous route.)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote