Thread: Boxster vs. RX8
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
23109VC

my dads car is a 2000 base. M030, full leather, 18" wheels. 3 spoke wheel.

73k miles. i think he wants about 15k for it..but i haven't pushed him on trying to cut me a "smoking" deal. i am sort of tempted to let him list it in the local autotrader and see what he gets offered. if some dumb dumb wants to give him $18000 for it, let them pay it. But i suspect he will see offers in the 13-14k range...and then reality will set in that his car is not worth all that much on the private market and he may cut me an even better deal?

what do you think his car is really worth?

i have seen S models with lower mileage in the high teens / low 20s. i'd be tempted to buy an extended warranty too. if i got one with low enough mileage the warranty is far far cheaper. the local dealer quoted me only $2900 for a 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper warranty n a 2001 boxster *IF* it had under 30k miles. if i only wanted to go 3 yr / 36k it dropped to about $2000. that's nice peace of mind for not too much money.

since my dad's car has 73k miles, to get a warranty on it that is 36 month / 36k miles - it would cost about $4700. if he would sell it cheaper, it would make more snse to buy his... it is a nice one... but if i can find a lower mileage car for only marginally more money - i can get a newer car, with less miles, and pay even less for a longer warranty and have peace of mind. i'm not paying cash for the car, so i'll be financing some of the costs..i don't want to be paying huge repir/upkeep AND a car payment..

what's my dad's car worth really? 15k too much??
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote