View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
Lil bastard

OK, did some reasearch and LoJack is out!

Seems installation is around $1k. And, you cannot have them locate it w/o a police report (in this community, PD reponse time for a theft is 1+ hrs., more than enough time to have the bike trashed).

Also, did some searching on some moto forums and these were the responses:

From a cop - "Lojac works, let me tell you. But the point of a bike being different from a car is well advised. If you activate lojac quickly and we get a signal while the guy is getting gas or parked , its an easy grab. But the downside is that like what was mentioned, your bike will prolly be dissassembled, thrashed or used in a high speed pursuit (and those never end good)"

"My understanding is that LoJack works pretty good but the police must be equipped with a LoJack tracking device. Depending on where you live, your police may or may not have the capability to track the bike. Also keep in mind that the LoJack does not start sending out it's location until you activate it. If too much time elapses the bike could already be taken apart or may be in a remote location that is out of police range."

"I had a bike stolen about 10 years ago and unfortunately it was recovered. I wish the police had not found the bike because the engine was trashed but the insurance company would only pay for the cosmetic damage that the bike had."

"not all departments have lojack detection units. mostly only big citys."

and the best one - "Greetings! Here's your jacked up, thrashed bike. Good thing we didnt have to total it and pay for the whole thing.

Sincerely,
Your insurance company
"

I do like the look of the Millennium Plus GPS Millenium Plus GPS , about $449. Seems you can locate you bike anytime you want using internet access, even get a sattelite aerial photo of it's location. It does have a minimum $9.95/mo. activation charge (optional) for which you get 15 inquiries/mo. You can also get it w/ no acticvation and activate when you need it for a 1-time charge. It also works with the bikes security unit and has starter interuption.

Anyone here have it? What do you think, is it worth it, or should I just let the ins. co. deal with it if it ever get stolen?
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote