Thread: Boxster vs. RX8
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Samson

That's a tough one... my experience with the RX-8 is limited to a few test drives, but they were very, um, thorough test drives.

My favorite part about the RX-8 is the wankel. I love the 9k redline and how it is smooth as silk throughout the range. The handling is just about perfect. Like you said, very tossable and has high limits, but still a comfortable(ish) cruiser. Reliability issues seem to be overblown. From what I've read and heard, just make sure you keep it full of oil... they burn it as part of the combustion process, so they use more than most people are used to.

This might be a step below what you're thinking, but have you looked at a previous generation Mazdaspeed Miata? That is probably the most fun I've had in a car in a long time. The turbo engine suits this car perfectly... raspy, raw, and a bit on the laggy side. Add to that the just about perfect Miata chassis, and you have one hell of a car for the money. Sure, it isn't practical, so buy a trailer hitch.

Another fun and in-your-range car is a C5 Corvette. I mean, where else can you get 350 hp, 30+ mpg, and amazing handling for $20k? Have you looked into a Z4 3.0? LS2 GTO? GTI 2.0t?

Last edited by Samson; 08-27-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote